Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Visualizing with Picturing Penguin

For the past 2 weeks, the sweetie pies have been working on the reading strategy,  making pictures in your mind as you read.  We have a new Cafe' Critter named Picturing Penguin who has been reminding us HOW to make the pictures in our minds, and WHY it is important for us to visualize when we read.  Here is the Picturing Penguin and her favorite anchor charts that she brought for the kids!
Room 36 and Deanna Jump inspired our first lesson on mental images using "My Neighbor's Dog is Purple" by Jack Prelutsky.  I am a huge collector of Jack's poetry so I grabbed the book and got started reading right away!
The kiddos used their white boards as a 4-door story board to illustrate each visual stage of the poem.


 
I was so impressed with how functional and amazing this lesson went!  I could quickly assess who was making the correct (and sometimes incorrect) visualizations.
Here are my K-1-2 resources that I have pulled out for the remainder of the year!  I think the kids are going to love doing weekly poetry studies focusing on Mental Images!  


For you 3-4-5 teachers, 
I found some intermediate grade level materials
 that look fabulous for visualizing!
For some fantastic mental images graphic organizers, click HERE to grab some fabulous freebies from Fabulous in First!
 
Lyndsey over at A Year of Many Firsts has these aMaZiNg units available for purchase at her TPT store!  This girl has hit a home run on the common core playground!
I just added all of them to my TPT cart!
 image

image
Sarah's First Grade Snippets has some AMAZING activities in her Read, Visualize, Draw units! At the request of the munchkins, 
I bought them all to use for daily morning work! 
Miss Sarah definitely SCORED big points with my kids on this unit!
 
I told myself I would have to wait several weeks before checking out another TPT cartload of materials.....
But pay day is Friday!  :)
YAY!
Happy Wednesday Friends!

8 comments:

  1. You have done it again. inspired me to think about what I am doing, not just go through the motions. I cannot wait to see what March brings...
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jack Prelutsky! I love his homework poem!


    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sarah's Read, Visualize, Draw activities too. I had seen that activity with Jack Prelutsky's poem before but I needed a reminder about it. I always find amazing things to do but then I forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognize some of those books. I especially love Regie's book about poetry!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast & easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you could check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many GREAT ideas here!
    Firstgradebuddies2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover